Project information  |  Information about the participants  |  News  |  Sponsors  |  Contact  | 
         

search search
 

Encyclopoedia


 Back...


 
The Warsaw Uprising 1944

     The Warsaw Uprising was one of the largest battles of the Second World War. The two-month long battle of the forlorn capital with the military power of the Third Reich - including the indifference of the Red Army, which stood at the entrance of the city, and the scant help provided by the western allies - became an unprecedented event, not only in Polish but in European history.
     [...]

  More ...


 
The Warsaw Ghetto Uprising

     After Poland's defeat in September 1939 the Germans started persecutions of the Jewish population living on occupied Polish territory. By the decree of the governor Ludwig Fischer of October 2, 1940, a part of Warsaw has been separated from the rest of the city by a wall three-meter high and 16-kilometer long - this was going to be the Jewish ghetto. On a little area of 307 hectares over [...]

  More ...


 
The September Campaign

            On September 1, 1939, at dawn the German Third Reich invaded the Polish Second Republic along the full length of the border between the two countries. This action was carried out according to the command of Chancellor Adolf Hitler, was not accompanied by a declaration of war, and broke a non-aggression pact. It constituted the outbreak of the Second World War and resulted in [...]

  More ...


 
Home Army

[...]  In 1943 the expanding Home Army numbered 380.000 soldiers throughout Poland. It was the most powerful underground army in occupied Europe.  [...]

  More ...


 
The Polish Underground State

[...]  The Polish Underground State was a an exceptional phenomenon. Not only did it battle with German occupying forces, it also ensured the normal functions of the state. Nowhere else in occupied Europe did such extensive structures of a secret administration ensue.  [...]

  More ...


 
Additional documents
         
   
   

Copyright © Muzeum Warszawy :: 2007

   
  The project is implemented by the Museum of Warsaw in cooperation with the State Archives of City of Warsaw, and the Niedersachsische Gedenkstatten Foundation